Monday, December 1, 2008

The Minor, but Key Chores



I am still looking at the major projects for Fandango - replacing the exhaust manifold and giving the brake system a once-over to get rid of the erratic braking. Those will happen in their own time but there are plenty of smaller tasks which need to be done.
One of the more important tasks was to get the propane tanks updated. One of the great details about Fandango is that it came with two 40 pound propane tanks and an integrated home for these tanks. After looking at other RV's and what I use for other outdoor activities, this really provides a lot of comfort in delivering far more propane than I could use in any boondocking adventure.


I knew the tanks needed to have their valves updated and they were likely low and needed to be refilled. Well, they also needed to be reinspected which is good because now I know that I have two 40 lb tanks which have brand new valves, a new inspection and they are completely full.


They also have a new paint job! As you will see below, these endured a lot of rust. It was not too hard of a task but for some reason I really get a kick out of a few hours of sanding and spraying three cans of Kilz primer spray paint on each tank. The next step is to crack open the gas line just upstream of the tanks and installing a "T" and one additional line which I can run externally for my camping stove. I like where they placed the tanks on a Fandango because it is right where I want the kitchen. There is really no reason why I should burn through smaller propane tanks. That will be a project in the near future.


One more "thank you!" to Elway for his advice. I bought a fuel gauge for each tank. These things are pretty big tanks but I would likely sit there worried about whether they are empty and this is a very simple part. It also helps you find a leak because the needle will either fall or never show full if you have a leak.
The tank's home.

The "Before" pictures.



Just staring at the paint drying



Ready for action!





No comments: