Saturday, December 27, 2008

Santa Claus is real!

I just cannot believe what Santa gave my three-year-old daughter today. We spent Xmas in Houston with my wife's sister and their family. That was a great time and I made numerous references about how it would have been great if we took Fandango there so we would have extra room with all of the other relatives in the house. No, that didn't work but I will admit, I just wanted an excuse to take Fandango.
Well, we drove back to Austin today and if you have ever take that drive up I-10 and Texas Hwy 71, you know there are a bunch of RV stores, RV parks, state parks, and so on. I have a buddy, Elway, who is one day into his weeklong camping vacation with his family. They are staying in Bastrop and I joked with my wife while driving home we could stop by. I do hope to get out there for a night or two but I know they are already booked for New Years Eve. Anyway, we were literally at the Hwy 71 intersection to turn off for the Bastrop State Park when I got a text message from my buddy, Elway. He was just letting me know which RV spot they got and also mentioned there are two spots available next to him. I really got a kick out of the timing so we turned right and stopped by for an hour to tour the park and say hello.

We weren't there ten minutes before Elway turned to my daughter, mentioned he got her a Xmas give and pulled a wrapped package out of his car. The box was pretty big and I was really confused on why he would have picked up such a large gift just for my daughter. OK, enough babbling...can you believe what he found, bought, wrapped and gave to my family?



Confused? That is an actual 1970's Tonka Winnebago Indian truck. Yes, I mean a sturdy, metal truck just like the Tonka trucks and bulldozers we all played with as kids. That beer bottle (Sorry, Marcus, I stole your method for taking pictures) is 500ml bottle for reference.

Elway apparently found it on e-Bay and insisted on getting it for my family. Yes, it even came with the four action figures (Mom, Dad, daughter and baby boy - just like my family). The top opens up and become the canopy. That also shows the interior.

Elway, I am just truly shocked and stunned that you went through the trouble to find this and give it to Danielle. Actually, I shouldn't be. Thanks! Here's some more pics for everyone. I hope everyone had at least one surprise this holiday season like what I got to experience today.
(Yes, I do feel a bit stupid setting up dolls, errr, action figures up for pictures)









4 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

I have one of those as a kid. I see them on ebay and they take me right back. There were many versions of the Winnabago made, you got the big one there. Let your daughter play with it a little too.

Greg Dvorak said...

Don't worry, she is getting plenty of play time with it. Now I just need her to stop slamming into my newly painted walls. Oh well.

And yes, this Tonka Winnebago is the longer version of mine. The layout is similar to most of the Airstreams I have seen. Fandango's bathroom is in the middle and there is a single couch in the rear instead of the two folding couches. I really like how the Tonka Winnie has the swivel front seats and the passenger seat is even the 1.5 wide seat.

utee94 said...

Airstream did a lot of side-baths like your Winnie (the full-sized one for real humans) in the 50s, and then went almost exclusively to the rear beath through the 60s. The side bath reappeared in the late 70s and forward. Not sure why they changed away, or went back.

I, too, had a Winnebago Tonka truck as a child. I loved it. I used to ride it like a scooter or skateboard, seated on the top using one leg to kick. Good times!

Your daughter will enjoy it for years to come, as will you!

Can't wait to get the Airstream put back together and go camping with you all again in the very near future.

-Marcus

Shaka said...

BG, Your welcome! I'm glad you and Danielle like it. Thanks for coming out to Bastrop SP and camping with us. We had a good time.