Saturday, December 27, 2008

What's this thingamajig?

Here's a quick, but key update on my work around Fandango.

Before I get to to the "Thingamajig", I fixed the hot water heater. It was blowing a very orange flame which went through the entire heater tube (Not sure if there is a more proper term but it makes sense if you ever look at an RV water heater) where the flame literally came back out the vent and was starting to leave soot marks on Fandango's paint job. I popped off the burner itself, took it home and soaked it in some soapy water and gave it plenty of time to dry. I also poured water through the burner hole in the tank plus I shoved a coat hanger in there. A bunch of cobwebs, muddobber nests and general crap came out. I am not sure which was was the true culprit but that helped, along with a minor adjustment on the air inlet to the flame. I have not had a chance to hook up the water and actually get hot water to come out of the sink but it did work prior to me purchasing Fandango and more important, the flame is clean, blue and small.

There are some minor things I have played with as well but back to the "Thingamajig". Here it is:



That eye bolt is on the floorboard, directly below my legs while I am in the drivers seat. I have wondered why someone would bother to put an eye bolt there but that just seemed to be the least of my concerns while trying to remember all of my questions around Fandango. Anway, the reason I bring this up now is that I had to tackle the problem I had with the brakes. I can thank (again) the previous owners who kept every receipt and manual from every owner. I actually have the original service manual which is a great document. I read through all of the brake schematics and I did a very basic examination of the brake lines which did not show any blown lines, drips, or obvious problems. What I finally did was open up the master cylinder and found one of the two reservoirs empty and the second full. For those who care, a 1975 Winnebago Indian is equipped with a split hydraulic brake system with a tandem master cylinder. I filled the master cylinder with new brake fluid, drove it, topped the fluid back off and drove it again. The brakes are back. I likely have a leak but it does appear to be relatively slow. I will have to monitor the fluid level for awhile to see if it is something that requires immediate work or $0.50 of new fluid every few months.

Yes, you are right, I did not mention how Fandango's thingamajig is involved. This must have been an issue before because this eye bolt is not secured to anything. I also know the previous owners had the brakes rebuilt plus the service manual has scribbles and notes everywhere in this section. I saw the underside of this rubber block and eyebolt, directly above the lid for the master cylinder. The master cylinder is located about 2" below Fandango's underbelly. I really wanted to see inside the master cylinder and apparently so did one of the previous owners. I pulled on the eye bolt and with minor effort the bolt and block came out and I could see right inside the master cylinder reservoirs. Not the perfect solution, but it sure came in handy.




So we are driveable and camp ready again. I still have some key projects high on my list, including the pump for the water tank (It works if I am at an RV spot with water), cut a few leveling chalks and, of course, the exhaust manifold. The curtains are pretty high up the list as well but my sunshades are perfectly functional for now.

3 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

I am not a big fan of RV's not made of aluminum, but I really dig your Indian. I think you have a very sweet ride there and it is so excellent that it was well taken care of. Keep up the good work and keep posting, I enjoy it very much

Anonymous said...

That RV is sooooo cool! A couple of thoughts about the brakes... I think you may have a fair amount of air in the lines if one of the resevoirs was empty... even filling it up, air has to be in the lines somewhere... a good bleed should help it out. If the air gets hot, the fluid will boil.. and your brakes will fail again.

If the fluid level is dropping, perhaps the master brake cylinders are to blame? I'd also pull the rear brakes (are the rears only drum? If they all are drum, I'd pull the front too) and see if the drum brake cylinders are leaking from inside the hub area.

Merry X-mas! My friend used to have a Winnie Tonka.. I thought it was so cool!
Take care!
Marc (3ms75argosy on the airforums)
Thanks for making it able for me to post!

Greg Dvorak said...

Thanks, Frank and Marc for the kind words. I am really enjoying Fandango and we are hopefully going to get a few nights camping soon.

Marc, I think you are right regarding the brakes. I have not had time to really put some miles on it since I topped off the master cylinder so hopefully the next trip will put a good test to the lines. Pulling the drums could likely be in the future.

The front and rear brakes are the same. Each outlet from the tandem master cylinder is connected to a Bendix Hydrovac which is connected to the wheel cylinders (One tandem master cylinder outlet and hydrovac supports the front brakes and the other supports the rear brakes).